Brigitte Frizzoni is the Managing Director of ISEK Popular Culture Studies. Her tasks include development and financial planning, planning and coordination of the institute’s and department’s processes, reporting, internal and external communication, as well as co-ordination of the study program “Popular Cultures Studies”. From 1999, she has also been active in teaching and research in the field of Popular Cultures Studies.
- Popular genres and serial narratives and their reception
- Theories and concepts of the popular
- 2008 PhD at Zurich University: Verhandlungen mit Mordsfrauen. Geschlechterpositionierungen im ‘Frauenkrimi. Zürich Chronos, 2009 [Negotiations with murderous women. Gender positionings in ‘Women’s Crime Novels’].
- 1990-1998 German Studies, European Folklore and Film Studies, Zurich University
- 1977-1979 Education as a primary school teacher, Zurich
- 1977 Baccalaureate, Zurich
- From 2009 Managing Director of the Department of Popular Culture Studies, University of Zurich, from 2014, Department of Social Anthropology and Cultural Studies – Popular Culture Studies
- FS 2012 DAAD Guest Professor at the University of Göttingen, Institute for Cultural Anthropology/European Ethnology
- 2006–2009 Senior Teaching and Research Assistant at the Department of Popular Culture Studies, University of Zurich
- From 2004 Guest Lecturer at the University of Göttingen, Institute for Cultural Anthropology/European Ethnology (WS 2004/05), Regensburg, Comparative Cultural Studies (FS 2008), St. Gallen (FS 2012), Wien, Institute for European Ethnology (HS 2012) as well as at the Pädagogischen Hochschule Zürich (2005–2006)
- From 1999 Member of the teaching staff at the University of Zurich
- 1995–2005 Teaching and Research Assistant and Academic Associate at the Department of European Folklore, University of Zurich
- 1991–1997 German teaching at various primary and secondary schools in Horgen und Zürich
- 1979–1991 Primary school teacher in Horgen
Memberships and Experience on Committees
- Commision for Narrative Research in the Deutschen Gesellschaft für Volkskunde (dgv); from 2017 Chairperson
- Commission for Cultures of Popular Entertainment and Amusement (KPUV) in the dgv; 2012-2015 Co-Spokesperson together with Kaspar Maase (to 2014) and Manuel Trummer (2014-2015).
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Volkskunde (dgv)
- Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Volkskunde (SGV); from 2009 Member of the Board
- Société Internationale d´Ethnologie et de Folklore (SIEF) [International Society for Ethnology and Folklore Studies]
- International Society of Folk Narrative Research (ISFNR)
- Advisory Board of the magazine POP. Kultur und Kritik. Edited by Thomas Hecken et al.
- Participation on various bodies in university self-governance: University Council (2011-2017), Executive Board of the University (2009–2017), Academic Career Development Commission (2001-2005), Admissions Committee (2010-2014), Faculty Board (2011-2017) and Faculty Assembly of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (2001-2005)