Our Department offers:
- a well-designed and diversified teaching programme
- a broad variety of thematic and regional specialisations
- a well-equipped and supportive library
- an excellent teacher/student ratio that allows researchers to supervise students diligently
- wide opportunities for research-based teaching
- regular excursions and summer schools (partly funded)
- possibilities to do a research internship within the field of development
- possibilities to conduct research as part of one of our ongoing research projects
- the chance for MA students to become tutors who teach at BA level or are involved in other work processes at the department
- a vibrant and cooperative department with international teaching staff
- excellent international connections and networks
- the Ethnographic Museum as a research institution that allows students to develop their skills and become professionally involved in its research and work processes, including exhibitions
- the University of Zurich and the ETH Zurich as a stimulating intellectual environment.
Zurich is very much a cosmopolitan and international city with a population from all around the world; it is situated in the centre of Europe and is a friendly place at that. Universities, cultural institutions and museums provide a highly inspiring intellectual environment. And Zurich has many more advantages. It is a beautiful city, situated on a lake and close to the Alps. The landscape invites students to take part in numerous outdoor activities, in summer and in winter.