We are looking for a doctoral student to be part of the research project “Visions of the Social: The Transformation of State Planning in Postcolonial India” at the Department of Social Anthropology and Cultural Studies, University of Zurich, which is funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation.
August 1st, 2019
Terms of employment
Employment for four years at the Department of Social Anthropology and Cultural Studies, University of Zurich, according to the Guidelines of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
For more information about the project: http://www.research-projects.uzh.ch/p22817.htm. The PhD student will examine local implications of financialized forms of social service provision in North India.
- Extensive supervision by the principal investigator, Dr. Sandra Bärnreuther, and the main supervisor, Prof. Johannes Quack
- A dynamic and innovative research setting in a lively department with a motivated faculty interested in collaboration and academic exchange
- The opportunity to join the „Swiss Graduate Program in Anthropology“ (http://anthropology.cuso.ch)
- National and international networks
- A competitive salary
- Realization of a research project to achieve a PhD in social anthropology
- Presentation of results at conferences, preparation of publications, and contributions to joint publications
- Co-organization of workshops
- M.A. (or an equivalent university degree) that qualifies you for a doctorate in social anthropology
- Research experience
- Theoretical and empirical interest in the fields of medical anthropology and/or political anthropology and/or economic anthropology
- Interest in South Asia
- Knowledge of Hindi is an advantage
- Independence and ability to work in teams
We are looking forward to your application. Please enclose the following documents:
- Cover letter with an indication of your research interests
- Curriculum Vitae
- A writing sample (e.g. articles, M.A. thesis)
- Copies of your degrees
- Addresses of two persons who can be contacted for a letter of recommendation
Please send your documents in one pdf to email@example.com.
Please do not hesitate to contact Sandra Bärnreuther for questions regarding the project and application procedure.