Summer School "Critical Sustainability Engagements", June 13-16 in Ascona
we are pleased to announce that in June of 2023 another SEG-Interface Commission Summer School will take place in Ascona with Zurich participation, this time under the title "Critical Sustainability Engagements: Anthropological Perspectives on Theory and Practice". The Summer School will be jointly organized and hosted by the Universities of Geneva, Zurich and Lucerne. There are a few spots saved for students from Zurich, and all costs for the summer school, accommodation and transport up to CHF 100 will be covered for the ones selected. Both BA and MA students are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in participating please prepare a CV and motivation letter and send them by email to Annuska Derks by March 15th. Once you are selected you will receive a booking form from Miriam Wohlgemuth.
The module will be creditable in the module group "Other Curricular Modules" with 3 ECTS Credits for both BA and MA students, and students from Zurich will have to hand in a reflection paper of 1500-2000 words to complete the module successfully. The module coordinator for Zurich will be Prof. Annuska Derks.
Critical theoretical and activist engagements on concerns such as human rights, gender violence, global pandemics, coloniality, racism and environmental sustainability are hot topics in both social science research and change-making across the world.
This Summer School seeks to shed light and enable learning on the multiple methodological, epistemological and political challenges involved. We aim to open up discussion on new forms of engagement, multi-modal expressions and student participation.
This Summer School offers a unique space for creating mutual learning between critical analysis and critical engagement.
- Deepen understanding of critical theory and what it brings to sustainability thinking and practice.
- Learn from scholars with a deep dive into specific lessons from engaging on multiple terrains.
- Engage participants in a process of reflection upon and presentation of their own action and research.
- encourage and equip participants to adapt concepts, tools and experiences into their analysis and practice.
Dr. Peter Bille Larsen, University of Geneva & Interface Commission
Professor Annuska Derks, University of Zurich
Dr. Doris Bacalzo, University of Lucerne & Interface Commission
- «International Burma Studies Conference» 2023: Registration open
- Ausschreibung Ethnologie: Tutorate für Masterstudierende mit eigenständigem Unterricht im HS 2023
- Guests at ISEK - Social Anthropology Spring 2023
- Call for Papers: Conference "Decolonising Gender and Sexuality: Learning from Other Voices"
- «Benin-Bronzen» unter der Lupe
- «International Burma Studies Conference» 2023
- Jahrespreis 2022 der Philosophischen Fakultät: Michèle Dick
- FAN Award 2022: Mascha Schulz
- Performance im Ethno-Forum am 15.3.2022
- Publikation zum Jubiläum 50 Jahre Ethnologie in Zürich